Thursday, June 17, 2010

Try this plant: Hydrangea 'Invincibelle Spirit'


Yeah, I'm a sucker for a new introduction plant. I'm a chump for something touted as new and improved, with bigger blooms, spot resistant foliage, or stronger stems. I admit, there have been a few disappointments---namely the 'Endless Summer' series hydrangea, Eupatorium 'Chocolate', and any number of tall Phlox. *Sigh.
I am, however, a perpetual optimist. And after cleaning out the small pie-shaped bed behind our new house this spring and placing our Buddha statue at its center, I thought we needed something special. 'Invincibelle Spirit' is a pink mophead, a new introduction 'Annabelle' hydrangea that grows 3-5' high and wide. 'Annabelle' is a reliable workhorse in these parts---tough and cold-tolerant, with huge domed white blooms in mid-summer and an attractive mounded habit. Since so many of my clients are looking for color, I thought this could be a great new addition to my design palette. If it works, that is. What better place to try it than in my own garden.
So far, so good. Of course when first planted, Hydrangeas are water-hogs. This shrub flags like an old queen after one too many cocktails, but a slow deep watering seems to revive it quickly. I'm terribly impressed that mine (roughly 2' high by 2' wide) already has a ton of buds on it. Blooms the first year---I like that in a plant. And if the color is as spectacular as it has been advertised, I will be delighted. The trick will be getting it through the first winter. I think it's in a good spot, a protected corner with 6 good hrs of sun a day. According to Proven Winners, 'Invincibelle Spirit' is hardy to Zone 3, blooms on new growth, and can tolerate partial sun. I will keep you posted, and if it blooms, post photos.(Photo courtesy of Proven Winners)

1 comment:

  1. Update: As of June 27th, my Invincibelle is loaded with flowers that are ready to pop! I'm very excited!

    ReplyDelete